Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What is action research and how can we use it?

Action research is a new concept for me.  Until now I’ve always thought research was research.  Since I have been introduced to this through scholars such as Nancy F. Dana I couldn’t see myself doing anything else once I become a principal.  Action research and inquiry allow professionals to look at themselves and make what they do better.  Showing your staff that you care about your education and that you continue to learn should spark some interest in their learning behaviors as well.

I’ve realized that action research is something you have to commit to because it takes time.  Time is not an administrator’s best friend, but it is something they have to deal with.  When you begin to question, that is just the beginning.  This is when time comes into play.  You need to set aside time each week or even daily to find research and data to help you with your “wonderings” (Dana, 2009).  Once you or your campus leadership team answers some of the questions then you will be able to implement them.  Perhaps by implementing something based on your questions you may change your campus/district for the better. 

Action research can be used for all sorts of things.  Anything from policies, passing rates, attendance, or discipline.  The question administrators and teachers need to ask themselves is how can I make my campus and my students learning experiences better than what they are now.  Inquiry and action research is different from traditional educational research because it comes from the teachers/staff.  Action research works from the inside out instead of the outside in.

No comments:

Post a Comment